< back

New Albany : Silver Heights Camp - Work Day

leaders:
Tom Childress
phone:
502-643-8868
email:
address:
501 Camp Ave (map)
organization/partner:
Silver Heights Camp
date/time:
Sat, Sept 8, 9am-noon
minimum age:
no age limit
project description:

Volunteers are needed to help with some landscaping, clean up and painting projects around the camp.

about this mission:

Silver Heights Camp was originally envisioned and established by James H. Conner. His vision of a holiness camp near New Albany, IN, came to fruition in the year 1888. He dreamed of a place where people of faith could gather to worship together and experience the peacefulness and serenity of the surrounding countryside.

Silver Heights is located on 22 wooded acres in the beautiful hills of Southern Indiana. It is the longest running camp in the state and has hosted thousands of men, women and children.

The first camp was held under the shade and welcome of a large canvas tent. The horse and buggies tied to available trees and posts surrounded this and other tents that provided shelter and offered food. The camps popularity increased by word of mouth and by 1892, a large wooden Tabernacle had been built to seat 2,500 attendees.

Silver Heights thrived, as people traveled from both near and far to join in the annual camps. In 1909, an estimated 10,000 people attended the camp. Cabins were built to accommodate campers as was a two-story summer hotel that featured 21 rooms. Eventually 31 family cabins, a grocery and a dining hall were added. Later, a five-room army barrack was sent from Camp Taylor, Kentucky. In 1954, the preacher’s cabin was completed. In 1961 and 1963, new boys’ and girls’ dormitories were added. In 2002, fire destroyed most of the cabins, grocery and dining hall, and the old barracks. Today, the Tabernacle, constructed in 1892, still stands solid and majestic, along with the preacher’s cottage and one of the dormitories.

what to bring:

work gloves, paint brushes, rollers, etc.

notes:

Contact Tom Childress @ 502-643-8868